Fire Department Responds to Multiple Calls
Burn Ban in Effect
Stevens Fire District 1 responded to a garage fire Thursday evening, July 5th caused by fireworks. The attached garage, located on Moriah Drive, sustained minor damage, however, several items in the garage were destroyed and the entire house suffered some smoke damage. One 7 year-old girl was slightly injured but did not require medical attention. The homeowner suffered minor smoke inhalation but also refused treatment.
The homeowner discovered the fire after a “Street Party” style firework tipped over and shot fireworks in all directions. One of the fire balls landed where some items were stored and started the fire.
Firefighters were on scene within minutes and removed the smoldering debris. Firefighters also checked for fire extension and ventilated the house while also monitoring the injuries of those involved.
On Sunday afternoon, Fire District 1 firefighters responded to the report of a leaking propane tank in the Dean Road area of Suncrest. This was a gas leak from a vehicle that runs on propane and gas. After the tank stopped venting, the crews from E8 approached with hose lines and were able to shut the tank valve down. After the propane completely dissipated we were able to see that the supply line from the propane tank to the engine (ran through a hole in the bed) was where the leak was coming from. No damage occurred and residents were displaced for only about one-half hour.
These were just a few of the calls that kept District 1 firefighters busy over the long July 4th weekend. Firefighters responded to numerous small wildland fires as well, some caused by fireworks.
All District 1 residents are reminded that the State burn ban took effect July 1 and will last until October 15. The Stevens County burn ban for Districts 1 and 2 took effect this week. Also the fire danger level was raised to moderate as the area begins to dry out and experience increasing temperatures.